Acupuncture is a form of Traditional Chinese Medicine therapy that involves inserting needles into specific parts of the body for the purpose of medical treatment.
Courtesy Ms. T Starke “Rambo”
Needles are inserted into acupuncture points which are present all over the body. Treatment times varies from 10mins to 30mins and may be performed in combination with mild electric current. At Biorecovery, our acupuncture treatment involves needles only, we do not pass electric currents.
Acupuncture treatment can be used to treat acute diseases (diseases that occur suddenly and recently); as can be used for management of chronic problems.
Problems we treat with Acupuncture
These are some of the acute problems we most often treat using acupuncture:
- Seizures or epilepsy 抽筋
- Head tilt 側頭或失去平衡
- Embolism leading to loss of use of legs (paralysis or paresis) 2肢癱瘓
- Sudden paralysis or quadraparalysis due to intervertebral disc disease 椎間盤移位
Treatment for these problems are often done frequently – sometimes as often as everyday therapy, if the patient allows.
Here are some chronic problems we often treat using acupuncture:
- Long term seizure or epilepsy 抽筋
- Arthritis 關節炎 (also combined with Homotoxicology 順勢療法)
- Long term paresis or quadraparesis 2肢/4肢癱瘓
- Skin problem 皮膚病 (in conjunction with diet modification, homotoxicology, shampoo)
- Chronic kidney disease 慢性腎衰竭 (in conjunction with diet modification, homotoxicology, ozone therapy, supplements)
- Chronic heart disease 慢性心臟病 (in conjunction with diet modification, homotoxicology, supplements)
- Chronic respiratory problems 慢性呼吸道疾病 (in conjunction with diet modification, homotoxicology, moxibustion, ozone therapy, supplements)
- Nausea and loss of appetite from Cancer 癌症 (in conjunction with diet modification, homotoxicology, ozone therapy, supplements)
- General well-being management 身體調理
Courtesy Dr. V Barrs “Albert”
How often do we treat?
Treatment frequency can range from everyday to once a month. The purpose of the treatment has to be clarified and agreed upon with your veterinarian.
As a rule of thumb – diseases or illnesses that happen all of a sudden – can usually benefit from frequent treatment. That means, we may perform daily acupuncture treatment!
Chronic diseases can still benefit from regular treatment – two to three times a week for a duration for possibly up to a month. As chronic diseases are usually difficult to impossible to cure, maintenance therapy is very important. Maintenance therapy may be as infrequent as once a month as long as the patient is clinically stable.
Follow our blog to read more about the benefits of acupuncture and other therapies!